Delta-9 THC is one of the most well-known compounds found within the cannabis plant outside of CBD. The primary difference between the two is that Delta-9 THC is the main psychoactive cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant binding to the receptors in your body that affect coordination, thinking, concentration, and pleasure, while CBD can provide therapeutic effects without the intoxicating effects. Delta-9 THC has been known to have restorative effects to boost mood, aid in pain relief, and act as a sleep aid, and more.
Check out our Delta-9 THC offerings here.
How Does Delta-9 THC Work?
Delta-9 THC is not found in the plant on its own. It is naturally converted from THCa when exposed to UV light or heat, usually through the smoking/vaping process or through a specialized process to make edibles or tinctures. This process is called decarboxylation. Delta-9 THC binds with CB-1 receptors in the brain and can produce strong psychotropic effects like elation, relaxation, and pain relief.
What Are the Different Forms of THC?
When people refer to THC, they are usually talking about Delta-9 THC despite the multiple forms of THC found in the cannabis plant. You may be familiar with some of the other following forms of THC:
- Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCa) is a natural compound found in the cannabis plant, known to be a precursor to Delta-9 THC, and it may be beneficial in helping to ease nausea.
- Delta-8 THC is a natural cannabinoid derived from hemp with psychotropic properties, meaning it has the ability to alter mood, behavior, and perception.
- Delta-9 THC is the main psychoactive cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant, and it can alter your perception by binding to the receptors in your body that affect coordination, thinking, concentration, and pleasure. Research indicates that Delta-9 THC may also have restorative effects to aid in pain relief, sleep, and appetite issues.
- Delta-10 THC has similar effects to Delta-9 THC and Delta-8 THC, but it is much milder than these forms of THC. Its energizing effects also differ significantly from Delta-9 THC and Delta-8 THC. Many consumers have found Delta-10 THC beneficial for encouraging creativity, increasing focus, and promoting alertness.
- Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCv) is a lesser known cannabinoid present in low amounts in the cannabis plant. Its benefits may include reducing stress, relieving symptoms related to anxiety or panic attacks, and acting as appetite suppressant.
What Are The Different Effects Of Delta-9 THC?
Delta-9 THC is well-known for its psychotropic effects which contribute to boosting mood, enhancing creativity, and providing a sense of euphoria. Many consumers have also found Delta-9 THC beneficial to manage depression, aid in sleep, and provide full body relaxation. Research indicates this cannabinoid may also be mentally uplifting and helpful for decreasing stress, and may increase appetite. While many consumers find Delta-9 THC products essential in their wellness routines, these products are not one-size-fits-all. Before introducing Delta-9 THC into your routine, we recommend discussing your options with a healthcare professional.
Is Delta-9 THC Federally Legal?
Yes, some forms of Delta-9, like hemp-derived Delta-9 are legal. The 2018 Farm Bill confirms all derivatives, isomers, and cannabinoids in hemp are legal. However, the bill set restrictions stating all final products must contain 0.3% or less of Delta-9 THC. All of our Delta-9 THC products contain less than 0.3% Delta-9 THC derived from hemp and are federally legal. Delta-9 THC derived from marijuana (a plant containing more than 0.3% Delta-9 THC pre-harvest) is not federally legal. Although there are no current age restrictions from the federal government on hemp derived products, CBD Kratom policy is to sell to those 18 years of age or older. Federal law states inhalants can only be consumed by those who are 21 years of age and older in the United States.
Does Delta-9 THC Show Up on a Drug Test?
Metabolites are your body’s reaction to consuming any form of THC, including Delta-9 THC, and these metabolites will trigger many drug tests. Different methods of delivery produce varying levels of metabolites within your body. As a precaution, you should not consume these products if you need to pass a drug test.
How Does Delta-9 THC Interact with CBD?
Delta-9 THC can be combined with other cannabinoids, like CBD, to create an entourage effect which may enhance the effects of all combined cannabinoids. Research suggests the protective effects of CBD may counteract some of the negative effects of THC, so you may find a product with CBD and Delta-9 THC helpful in reducing undesirable effects, like paranoia or anxiety. You may also consider full spectrum products or combining Delta-9 THC with other cannabinoids, like CBD or CBN, to increase and extend the overall benefits.
How Much Delta-9 THC Should I Take?
The amount of Delta-9 THC you choose to take will vary depending on your specific needs and/or desired effects. Starting with a low dose may help you determine your specific response and tolerance. Because Delta-9 THC typically has a delayed onset, we suggest starting with the recommended serving size and gradually increasing or decreasing in different sessions as needed to feel your desired effects. Cannabinoids are fat-soluble and interact with phytochemicals, like terpenes, so the food you eat may impact your personal experience. Depending on the form of Delta-9 THC you take, you may feel different effects at different intervals throughout your experience with the product.
What Are The Different Ways To Take Delta-9 THC?
Delta-9 THC is available in several forms including oils, tinctures, cartridges, edibles, beverages, and topicals. Before introducing Delta-9 THC into your routine, we recommend consulting with a healthcare professional. Your body's reaction varies depending on the method of delivery; this explains varying onset time and duration of effects.
- Smokables: Smoking or vaping is one of the easiest and most traditional ways to consume Delta-9 THC, and it provides more bioavailability which means you can absorb more of the THC than you would with other forms, like edibles. With smokable products, you inhale the Delta-9 THC which is then absorbed through the lungs and into the bloodstream. You will likely begin to feel the effects of smokables within 15-30 minutes, and these effects may last anywhere between two to three hours.
- Tinctures/Oils: Tinctures or oils are a popular method for taking Delta-9 THC due to their convenience. Apply the recommended dosage under your tongue with the dropper and hold the oil in place for a minimum of 60 seconds to allow for maximum absorption through the capillaries. After holding for the allotted time, swallow the oil. You will likely begin to feel the effects of a tincture or oil within an hour or an hour and a half. Typically, consumers report the effects last for about three to five hours.
- Edibles: Edibles, like gummies or lollipops, are an easy way to try Delta-9 THC products at home or on the go. This form introduces the THC through the digestive system into the bloodstream. You will likely begin to feel the effects of edibles within an hour and a half or two hours. The effects of edibles typically last longer than other methods of delivery, about six to ten hours.
- Beverages: Water-soluble Delta-9 THC can be consumed in drinks such as seltzers and teas. Through a process called nanoemulsion, water-soluble Delta-9 THC creates fast-acting effects by dissolving rapidly through the digestive system into the bloodstream. Effects can be felt within 30 minutes of consumption. Again, onset and duration may vary per individual and delivery method.
How Can I Find The Right Product?
Finding the right Delta-9 THC product will depend largely on your needs, wants, and preferences. Visit us in-store for a personal consultation with our doyens.
Let CBD Kratom be your guide.
Stop by one of our stores today and speak to an expert. Our Doyens are knowledgeable and trained to help you determine your needs and find the right edibles for your wellness journey. You can also schedule some one-on-one time with one of our experts from the comfort of your home via video conference or phone.